Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Don't Scare Me Like That....

Sunday night 10:40 p.m., just climbing into bed after beading for about an hour and the phone rings. Of course, Allison, my social butterfly is still up and answers. She runs upstairs telling me its a lady for me and sounds important. It is the apartment complex where my dad lives... the ambulance is taking him to the hospital -- it's his heart. Oh My God.... Greg and I quickly dress and I leave a note for Kaitlin. The three of us drive to the hospital, while I'm calling my brothers and sister. My brother Rick is at his cottage on Diamond Island. The ferry is done for the day and he is stuck there. Jeff is at a golf outing in Eastern Tennessee. Julie and Tom are home and in bed. Of course we got to the hosptial before the ambulance and I'm not very patient. The whole time I'm thinking "just don't let him suffer". I was sure this was IT. So, once they got him settled, they took me back. I walk in his emergency room and his is sitting up, smiling, pjs on, looks good. Whew. He was having horrible indigestion and it wouldn't go away with rolaids even after an hour. So, he got scared and used his button to call the front desk. She called 911 and there we were. Of course, someone who comes in with chest pain of any kind is treated seriously and they kept him overnight and ran some tests. All of which came back fine. The ER doc thinks he has acid reflux, which makes sense. I spent my Labor Day in the hosptial with dad watching tv about Alaska on the history channel waiting for him to be discharged (finally at 5 p.m.)!! But, we were together and he is ok. Thank God. This morning he has many phone calls to make to see the doctor and follow up on his tests. Then he can't wait to hit the golf course!! It was the first question he asked when the doctor released him... "can I play golf tomorrow"! Pretty good for someone who is 81 years young!! I love ya dad, but don't scare me like that again!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Lisa - I know all too well what you were feeling & going through! I'm so glad he's okay & that he was smart enough to not just think it would go away!
BTW - I like your choice of pics w/ dad. He's in the hospital for a possible heart attack & you have a pic of him & you with the beer taps & a glass of beer right behind you!!! LOL!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

This was a very sweet post. Cherish your dad while he's here.